New Home Lot Supply Index for select markets
Lot inventory in nearly every top market is currently considered seriously undersupplied.
- The markets that tightened the most on a year-over-year basis in 4Q20 were Baltimore, San Diego, and Nashville.
- Baltimore’s tight inventory is due to some growth moratoriums and select parts of the market that are getting close to buildout.
- Lot demand is strong in San Diego and builders would build far more homes if the land allowed it, but the geographic barriers pose challenges.
- Nashville’s housing market thrived throughout 2020 and early-2021 as the pandemic caused many to re-evaluate where they lived. Builders are enjoying the heightened demand but topography issues are part of the reason there aren’t more lots available.
- Jacksonville, Raleigh, and Atlanta are the top markets for new home sales, according to our New Home Pending Sales Index. In the same markets, the New Home LSI captures a 12%, 28%, and 28%, respectively, drop in finished lots.
READ FULL ARTICLE HERE